An easy and natural way to refresh your sleep environment is to use an aromatherapy diffuser with the right essential oil to create calming effects that may refresh and purify the air, or boost your mood.
Here’s a very simple wellness tip to start your day refreshed. Set an aromatherapy diffuser in your bathroom, kitchen or any room you spend a good amount of time in the morning to get ready. Before you go to bed at night, put a few drops of a mood-boosting essential oil and either turn it on for a 4 or 8-hour cycle. In the morning when you walk into that room, you will feel naturally refreshed without even knowing it. Here are a few essential oils to help:
- Citrus oils such as lemon, lime, sweet orange, bergamot, tangerine and mandarin give us that zesty pick-me-up effect we need.
- Chamomile is soothing, a gentle start for those who tend to feel anxious early in the day.
- Eucalyptus is often used to clear sinus passages which promotes breathing and clarity.
- Sandal wood has a mild earthy scent that is very grounding, which is a great way to approach the day.
- Rose blends well with citrus, lavender and clary sage for uplifting floral scent.
- Clary sage is a natural antidepressant and can reduce menstrual cramps.
Some essential oils can also by applied topically with use of a carrier oil so research and learn the safest and best ways to use them for yourself and your family.
Fun Fact: Essential oils are usually lipid soluble which means they can travel through human cell walls, making them effective in as little as 20 minutes.